Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Key to Joy


If I were to ask you if Jesus was a happy person, what would you say? I’d have to guess he was almost always happy. After all, he told his disciples he wanted them to have his joy (John 15:11).  He couldn’t say that unless he expressed joy.
    Isn’t it interesting, though, that here was a man who knew all the problems his friends had; he knew their doubts, he knew their fears. He knew they were all going to reject him, hurt him and pretend they didn’t even know them. Their main concern seemed to be which one of them was his favorite. Each one wanted to be “the greatest.” Sounds like a tough group to love. Yet Jesus did just that. He gave them constant and unconditional love.
    “Make yourself at home in my love,” he said, “If you keep my commands, you’ll remain intimately at home in my love.”  Then he told them why this was important – so they could have lives filled with happiness, with joy. “I’ve told you these things for a purpose, that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature.”
    So what was the secret to Jesus’ joy? It’s the same secret to your joy and my joy. It’s stated in the very next few verses. “This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends.” And then He did just that.
    Now Jesus is not asking us to die, but to love others. And loving others means concentrating on what will help them in their personal journey with Jesus. Joy is making a life decision to love others to Jesus. To see past their pain, their feelings of worthlessness, their sins, and to see them as Jesus sees them – as those he came to save.
    I don’t know of many things that bring greater joy than when you see someone all the sudden (or finally) realize that God really does love him or her. Joy enters their eyes and face when the truth of God’s love, acceptance, forgiveness and grace breaks through the walls that have been built up
    The key to real joy is love. We know we’re loved. Let’s make sure others know how loved they are. – Rick


No comments:

Post a Comment