Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Ultimate Love Letter


The Ultimate Love Letter

"The Bible is like a love letter, until you actually encounter the One that it is talking about, you really don't understand the letter.” (Elmer Colyer ).

A good friend called me a while back upset at something he heard a well-known Christian leader say about the Bible. This person claimed the Bible was not an instruction book; it was simply a narrative of God’s love for his people. My friend went on and on about how frustrated this made him fell and how wrong this Christian leader was and then he said, “Rick, what do you think about this statement.”

He was shocked to find I agreed with the Christian leader. However, I pointed out, I would not use the word simply. The Bible tells the story of God’s faithfulness to his people regardless of what they do. It’s a story of mercy, patience, forgiveness, reconciliation, redemption, adoption and salvation. In other words, it is the story of God’s love for you and for me.

It is the story of God’s amazing plan to share the fellowship and communion of the Father, Son and Spirit with his creation. It’s the story of God saying to his people, “I will be your God and you will be my people,” regardless of what his people do.

It’s the story of how humanity rejected that communion by saying “No” to God. And it’s the story of God saying “No” to our “No,” and rejecting our rejection. In essence the Bible tells the story of God saying, “I said ‘Yes,’ and I mean it. I am your God and you are my people. I will not break my word or my commitment because you are my children and I love you.” 

It’s the story of Jesus who redeems and reconciles us to the Father who loves us. It’s the love story of a Papa/Father who never gives up on his children.

Do you want to understand the Bible? Read it as a love letter from a Papa/Father who adores you. – Rick 

No comments:

Post a Comment