Friday, January 4, 2013

Filthy, Messy, Unconditional Love


The two best friends were playing in the back yard sliding down a hill into a pile of mud. The boys were laughing and having a wonderful time until they slid down the hill at the same time and smashed their noses together, both noses erupting in blood.
     The parents of the two boys were sitting on the patio sharing drinks and conversation. They had just commented on how filthy the boys were getting and wondering how they were going to get the boys to the bath without getting filthy themselves. The parents were going out later that evening and were already dressed for the occasion.
     When the boys smashed their noses together and both noses erupted in blood, all four parents leapt from their chairs and rushed to the boys. By the time the boys were calmed down, all four parents were covered in mud and blood, but the boys were reassured of their parents love and compassion.
     Later that evening one of the parents compared that event with his understanding of God’s love. “All my life, I believed I had to get cleaned up before God would love me,” he said. “I was afraid to go to God because I knew my sins made me as filthy and messy as the boys were today. But I wonder if God is more concerned about his love for us than about our sins and filth.”
     His wife said, “I wondered the same thing. When I saw the boys hurt, the last thing on my mind was how filthy or bloody they were. I just wanted to love them and tell them we were there for them. I think God is like that.”
     The other mother agreed. “When the boys needed us we dropped everything and ran to them. I think that’s what Jesus was telling us with the story of the prodigal son. God runs to us in spite of our filth, in spite of our mess and he just loves us.”
     The last parent, who was listening to the other three talk about God and this event, suddenly felt his eyes well up in tears.
     “I never understood the idea about God being my Papa until I listened to you three talk. I wanted to believe he loved me, but always felt he was keeping an arms distance because of my sins. You’ve helped me understand that God loves me just as I am. Amazing how God uses our children and you guys to help me understand that he is a Father who unconditionally loves us in the midst of our filthy and messy lives.”
     God doesn't mind at all being covered in our filth and mess. He's more concerned with reassuring us of his love and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment