Saturday, January 12, 2013

In Love with Papa


Before our daughter Kayla was born, Cheryl and I loved her. But Cheryl loved her in a way I could not. As Kayla formed in Cheryl’s womb, Cheryl could feel life and she formed a relationship with our unborn child I was not able to form. It wasn’t until I saw Kayla’s birth and held her in my arms that I could experience relationship and love the way Cheryl had already experienced.
     And that was just the beginning. As the days progressed our love for Kayla grew and 24 years later it is still growing. The same is true for both our boys. This is the way it is with love – it grows as the relationship grows.
     The same is true of our love for God. All my life I was told the most important thing (greatest commandment) is to love God with all my heart, mind, soul and strength. I tried to love God as I grew up. I constantly told him I loved him, thinking that would help. I did my best to obey (at least most of the time) because I knew the Scripture said to love God was to keep his commandments – so love was based on obedience, (or so I thought).
     I admit I struggled loving God because I was trying to love without relationship. My attempt to love was based on a sense of duty coupled with a fear of disobedience. It was frustrating and often left me feeling like a failure. I believed if I just tried harder to love God, I could get my life in order and all would be well. It was an effort of futility – until I discovered the truth that God was a Papa who loved me and wanted to be in relationship with me.
     Jesus was quite intentional in revealing God as a Father who loves us. He wanted us to see the relationship he had with his Abba (Papa or daddy), Father. Jesus’ love for his Papa was based on the relationship they shared. His Papa loved him and he loved his Papa and that love grew as they spent time together.
     Just like my love grows for my children as I spend time in relationship with them, my love for my Papa grows as I spend time in relationship with him. This time is spent reading his story about his love and faithfulness for me and for humanity and talking to him about everything and worshipping him.
     The funny thing is, as I spend time with my Papa who loves me more than I can imagine, I begin to keep his commandments because I want to. What are those commandments? Love Papa and love others. In other words, build relationship with Papa and with his children by spending time with them. I can do this. – Rick

1 comment:

  1. Papa has already loved us with all his heart, mind, soul, strength -- he asks us to enter into that same love and learn (that's a journey, a process) to love him the same way.

    ReplyDelete